Finished Project: Virus Shawl or Scalloped Triangle Shawl

I recently finished what is called the “Virus Shawl” or the “Scalloped Triangle Shawl.” I saw this first on Facebook and just had to make it.  The one thing I was concerned with, was it looking grandma like and I wanted it to be hip.  I used Red Heart Unforgettable in Polo and it used 1 and 1/2 skeins using a J hook.  I was pleased with how it came out and I did wet blocking to achieve the drape I wanted.  There is a photo tutorial here and there is a written pattern here.  I only measured the length of it and it was 54 inches.  You can make it as big as you want by just repeating rows 9-12.

Here are some pictures:

01f28c656234062e92bee8a9b3073b1c7070aa8d61

IMG_1346

Virus Shawl

IMG_1340

22 comments

1. Lisa says:

Beautiful shawl! I am just starting to work on mine and I have read that acrylic yard does not block. Looks like Redheart Unforgetable is 100% acrylic. Is this true and did you block with just water?

• One Crafty Dame says:

Thank you! I think some acrylic yarns block better than others. I washed my shawl in a mild detergent and then I blocked it while it was wet. I was quite pleased with the results. Hope this helps!

2. nelissa says:

Hi! I just made one inspired by yours! I used Red Heart Unforgettable in sunrise! I used about 1.5 skeins.. can you tell me what your scarf measures? I haven’t blocked mine yet, does it stretch out more with blocking like you described?

• One Crafty Dame says:

Thank you! I apologize for responding late. Yes, blocking the shawl will stretch it out more but in a good way, because the stitches are more pronounced. My shawl measured 60 inches wide (taking the measurement at the widest point). Hope this helps! 🙂

3. Melissa says:

Grrr..I’m stuggling! I got to the point where I need to start increasing to keep with the patterns and I’ve had to unravel it three times I keep doing something wrong and cannot put my finger on it! I’m pretty sure the directions say increase the number of chain fives and chain tens to keep with the pattern not add more chain fives than the 3 required… but for some reason when it comes time for me to make a chain 10 I’m in the wrong spot.. I’m getting frustrated but I’m trying to stick it out

• One Crafty Dame says:

I understand your frustration completely. What helped me was actually reading the chart that accompanied the pattern and I usually prefer to read the instructions instead of the charts. Hopefully you made some progress by the time you read this! 🙂

• Marbella says:

Hello where can I find the chart for this pattern I love it but I do better looking at the chart no the written part Thanks

4. Suzanne says:

Thanks for blocking info! I used Stylecraft cabaret in sunset which is dk weight, and it looks really nice. Might try a Caron cakes or simply soft one too! You look great in the photo😀

5. Patty says:

Each picture seems to be of a different shawl. The color patterns and sheen are different than in the one you are wearing. Did you make each of these shawls?

• One Crafty Dame says:

Hi! It is actually one shawl that I made. I was playing around with different features on my camera but the more true color would be the one in natural light where there is a brick background. The photos are actually me working on the shawl in different stages! 🙂

6. Deb says:

Beautiful scarf, and you look lovely wearing it.

What would happen if you used the thread weight yarn? Instead of regular yarn? I seem to be a thread craze lately.

• One Crafty Dame says:

Sorry for the delay in responding! That’s awesome! The trend I have seen now is making them with Caron Cakes. I am not sure how many cakes it would take to make it though.

7. Karen says:

Hey Crafty, quick question. I am making a virus shawl with red heart unforgettable. It looks like the photo of yours in process, sort of lumpy and bumpy. In your finished photos it is all beautifully laying flat and looks so much richer and elegant. Is that simply from wet blocking? Which process did you use? Thanks for your help.
    Karen

• One Crafty Dame says:

Thank you for your kind words. Yes when you are making it, the shawl is lumpy and sort of bunched up. When I finished I stretched it out to the shape it should be, secured with pins and sprayed it with cool water. After it dried, in about 24 hours I actually sprayed it again for added assurance that it would stay that way..LOL!! I think the whole process took me about 3-4 days to block. I hope this helps…I am sure that your finished piece will be just as beautiful! 🙂

8. Kimi Anderson says:

Beautiful job! Thanks for sharing! I was wondering if it would look the same with a heavier worsted weight yarn, and it looks just as lovely!

• One Crafty Dame says:

Thank you! You know, I have wondered the same thing, how it would look with a heavier yarn like worsted weight. I think it would still be just as pretty. Caron Simply Soft may be good place to start.